Education level for American Indians and Alaska Natives 25 and older in 2011:
- Less than high school diploma 21.1 %
- High school diploma, GED or alternative credential 31.4 %
- Some college or Associate’s degree 34.2 %
- Bachelor’s degree 8.9 %
- Graduate or professional degree 4.4 %
In 1976 there were 76,100 American Indians/Alaska Natives enrolled in college and universities. By 2006 the number had grown to 181,000.
Percentage of youth 18 to 24 who are enrolled in college:
- Asian Americans 60.1 %
- Whites (non-Hispanic) 44.7 %
- African American 37.1 %
- Hispanics 34.8 %
- American Indians/Alaska Natives 23.5 %
Source: U.S. Department of Education
27% percent of American Indians and Alaska Natives alone 5 and older spoke a language other than English at home, compared with 20.8 percent for the nation as a whole. Source: 2011 American Community Survey
54% of American Indians and Alaska Natives own their own home. For the USA overall home ownership is 65%.